This is tonight - and we'll be doing a complete performance of Bach's flute-tastic Suite no. 2. twitter.com/OAENightShift/…
Conductor Rebecca Miller joins us on 30 January for Gamechangers: A Forgotten Revolutionary, a concert featuring works from the often overlooked CPE Bach. Here Rebecca shares a few things you might not know about the composer…
1. CPE Bach was severely underpaid at the court of Frederick the Great.
2. He was an astute businessman, meticulous record-keeper, punctilious accountant, and published is own music.
3. He was the first to suggest in print that musicians should move, show emotion, practice, and use their thumbs when playing the piano.
4. Throughout the 18th century, he was known as ‘Bach’, much more famous than his father, J.S.
5. His music is packed with invention and unpredictability – sudden changes of mood, strange harmonies, and shocking pauses – Haydn draws much of his humour, spontaneity, etc. from CPE.
6. He was sociable, vivacious, and humorous.
7. He had an enormous portrait collection.