Fundraising: friends, supporters and donors
The Development department at the OAE develops and manages relationships with our supporters. We aim to raise funds to support the OAE and its projects. We work closely with staff, Players, Principal artists and soloists, members of our Board and Trust, and our current supporters to enable the orchestra to produce world-class performances and education programmes.
What data do we process?
We will process your personal data only for specified purposes in order to provide you with a more efficient and personalised service. We seek to ensure that all personal data are adequate and relevant to that purpose.
OAE Development collects the following data:
- name, address, phone number or email address; this information, provided by you, enables us to contact you about events and activities at the OAE, which in turns allows you to show interest in or support such activities (e.g. information that you provide us when you sign up as a friend via our website)
- information regarding your relationship with the OAE, including events you have attended, donations you have made and communications you have had with members of staff;
- details of any donation you may have made to the OAE including how it was received (e.g. cheque, direct debit, CAF, Crowdfunder, online), date of receipt and whether gift aid is applicable. We then use stored contact details to properly thank and steward any donation you make;
- information regarding your personal preferences, philanthropic history, and capacity to donate. This may include information provided through publicly available sources such as LinkedIn and news feeds.
We have many ambassadors who promote the work of the orchestra and these ambassadors will provide us with information on those they consider to have a legitimate interest in our work. We will never contact an individual unless they have given us or our ambassador’s permission to do so.
What do we use your data for?
We use your data to:
- fulfil our obligations to supporters in terms of acknowledgement of their gift and agreed stewardship activities;
- administer donations or other payments (such as concert and event tickets);
- keep you updated with OAE activities that are relevant to you;
- offer you opportunities to engage further with our activities;
- fundraise further on behalf of the OAE;
- keep you informed about opportunities/ events at related organisations;
- administrate Gift Aid claims;
- prepare for events that you attend. The Development team will compile event briefing notes for our senior volunteers. This will include information such as your relationship with the OAE and your philanthropic interests. These briefing notes will not be shared beyond members of staff and our senior volunteers.
How do we store your data?
Your data will be kept confidential. Personal data is always stored on password protected computers only available to members of staff with a login. Personal data on hard copy is stored in locked cupboards. We also store bank and other payment details in secure systems as appropriate.
What is the lawful basis for processing your data?
- Current and former supporters
We rely on legitimate interest when processing information relating to current supporters and recent former supporters.
- New or prospective supporters
For new or prospective supporters, we will rely on an individual’s consent.
How long do we retain your data?
The personal data we collect are evaluated annually to determine whether they are current and still need to be held. There may be legal requirements that require us to retain your data e.g. tax regulations and the Charities Act 2011. If you do not respond to communications from us for five years, we will not contact you again unless you re-activate your engagement with us.
How do you opt out?
In accordance with Data Protection Law, you have a choice about whether you want to receive information about our fundraising activities, and by which channels (e.g. telephone, email, post). Every effort will be made to contact you using your preferred contact method and to limit the frequency of non-personalised communications.
You may opt-out from receiving correspondence from the Development team at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 020 7239 9370.
What are your rights?
You have the right to:
- request a copy of the information we hold about you;
- update or amend any incorrect information we hold about you;
- ask us to stop processing your personal data and/or to remove it from our records;
- change your communication preferences;
- raise a concern regarding how your information is being used;
- make a complaint at any time by emailing the Development Department on the email address below;
- lodge a complaint relating to the use of your personal data with the Information Commissioner’s Office or the Fundraising Regulator.